Prototype Machining in Michigan | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Michigan. From idea to shelf, prototyping is the first step to creating products primed for mass-production. To do it correctly the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Michigan that can not just make your designs come alive, but have engineers on staff that can also help refine the product to make it even better.
At Roberson Machine Company, we are a leader in rapid prototyping in a number of businesses. If you can dream it, we have the capabilities to make it a reality—no matter the complexity! Our team of contract manufacturing professionals are prepared to support your product development initiatives.
Michigan Prototype Services
We have an expansive factory floor with mills, lathes, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire team at Roberson Machine Company is devoted to ensuring your product development efforts go off without a hitch, which is why we painstakingly oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services we offer:
- Variety of capabilities such as extrusion, bending, folding, stamping, welding, cutting, spinning, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
- Both complex and simple part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
What is a Prototype?
A prototype is a first-attempt physical model of a product that’s made through a special manufacturing process like CNC machining. It is often used for engineer testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For instance, many companies turn to Roberson Machine Company to create a physical part swiftly in order to validate a design or capture a sales opportunity.
Prototyping is an advantageous process that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Generating multiple separate versions of the product with different colors, surface textures, and finishing processes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of quality, size, dimension, and shape
- Testing the market with your product before production
- Finding and fixing potentially expensive design defects before reaching market
- Improving and streamlining the entire production process
In general, rapid prototyping in Michigan saves money, time, and hassle by creating one product that can be tested and improved upon before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process may help your company realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Utilizes Prototype Machining In Michigan?
A large number of Michigan industries have recognized the advantages of prototype machining and utilize it to reduce the chance of disruptions in the development phase. Roberson Machine Company has successfully partnered with a large number of companies, of all sizes, to realize their prototype manufacturing requirements. We have helped the following Michigan industries and more develop prototypes rapidly and within cost requirements:
- With the popularity of “just-in-time” manufacturing processes, the automotive industry needs new parts to be developed as quickly as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool partners with Michigan automotive firms ranging from small custom shops to well-known OEMs to produce prototype parts in several different materials, delivered affordably and on time.
- Oil and energy firms have special requirements for prototypes: they need to be made to withstand the heavy pressure of refining, mining, and underground burial. Roberson responds to these demands by specializing in machining prototypes made of exotic materials such as alloy steel, plastics, and brass.
- The Michigan medical industry requires parts to be developed to some of the most exacting tolerances in the machining industry: after all, making sure that defective parts do not make it to end users is truly a matter of life and death. Moreover, medical parts are often quite small and complicated in design. Roberson Machine Company is equipped with the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only quickly produce medical part prototypes regardless of size, but also provide process and tracking reports required by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers demand parts with highly technical geometries and dimensions, and in many cases using rare metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. Moreover, the special pressures and characteristics of flight necessitate parts built to strict tolerance and design standards. Our veteran technicians are ready to tackle the challenges of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Michigan machine shop is devoted to delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This history of prototype manufacturing for multiple Michigan industries allows Roberson Machine Company to be a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our highly-trained team of engineers and machinists can help you recognize flaws in your product, suggest design and reliability improvements, and otherwise improve the quality of your Michigan end product while lowering your R&D costs.
Why Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Michigan
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to digitally design your product, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, shaving away portions from a piece of raw material to create a desired end-shape.
Using computers eliminates human error and improves the efficiency of the cuts which, in turn, means that you can produce flawless, quick parts both the first time and every time afterwards. There are a variety of other reasons to choose CNC machining for prototyping, such as:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are very precise and accurate in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine can typically create one part in a matter of minutes, which is invaluable towards getting products to market quickly.
- Many different materials to work with – CNC machine tools can work on virtually any machinable material, which includes many varieties of metal and plastic substrates. Product developers can then test different materials to see which is best for their application.
- No fixed tooling necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate dies and tools, which helps reduce the lead time and initial investment costs for new product development.
- Easy to modify – New products often go through many moderations and iterations to improve upon the original design. With CNC machining, you can easily alter digital instructions as many times as necessary.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Michigan | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is an ideal solution for product developers who need high-quality and quick parts in small volumes for testing samples, engineering, and prototyping. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.