Prototype Machining in Massachusetts | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Massachusetts. Prototyping is an essential step in taking your product from idea to shelf. To do it correctly the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Massachusetts that can not just bring your designs to life, but have engineers at the ready that can also make revisions to the product to improve upon it.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping for a number of businesses. If you can dream it, we have the capabilities to make it a reality—no matter the complexity! Our team of contract manufacturing professionals are prepared to support your product development goals.
Prototype Services Massachusetts
We have an expansive factory floor with lathes, mills, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire staff at Roberson Machine Company is dedicated to ensuring your product development journey goes smoothly, which is why we painstakingly oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail is perfect.
Finally, we know how important it is to move a completed prototype to production so that it can get on the market as soon as possible. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. We want to be your one-stop machine shop for all prototyping services.
CNC prototyping services we offer:
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Variety of materials, such as aluminum, stainless steel, etc.
- Variety of capabilities, such as stamping, extrusion, bending, cutting, spinning, folding, welding, etc.
What is Prototyping?
Prototyping uses specialized manufacturing techniques, such as CNC machines, to create high-quality physical models of a design idea. It can be used for many purposes and is usually the first step in the mass-production of a product. For instance, many businesses turn to Roberson Machine Company to build a physical part swiftly in order to validate a design or capture a sales opportunity.
Prototyping is an advantageous practice that is used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, dimensions, and features of your product
- Generating multiple separate versions of the product with differing colors, surface textures, and finishing processes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of quality, size, dimension, and shape
- Testing the product on the market before bringing it to full production
- Finding and fixing potentially expensive design defects before reaching market
- Improving and streamlining the entire production process
Overall, rapid prototyping in Massachusetts saves time and money by creating a single run of a product that can be tested and optimized to peak performance before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to learn more about how this process can help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
A large number of Massachusetts industries have recognized the advantages of prototype machining and use it to limit the chance of disruptions in the development cycle. Roberson Machine Company has successfully partnered with a sizable number of companies, both large and small, to meet their prototype manufacturing goals. We have helped the following Massachusetts industries and others develop prototypes rapidly and within cost requirements:
- With the widespread adoption of “just-in-time” manufacturing, the automotive industry requires new parts to be developed as fast as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool contracts with Massachusetts automotive manufacturers as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to build prototype parts in several different materials, delivered affordably and on time.
- Oil and energy firms have special requirements for prototypes: they must be built to withstand the heavy pressure of underground pipeline burial, mining, and refining. Roberson responds to these demands by specializing in machining prototypes using exotic materials such as plastics, brass, and alloy steel.
- The Massachusetts medical industry mandates that parts are developed to some of the most precise tolerances in the machining industry: after all, preventing defective parts from making it to consumers is quite literally the difference between life and death. In addition, medical parts are often very small and intricate in design. Roberson Machine Company is proud to use the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only quickly fabricate medical part prototypes no matter the dimensions, but also provide process and tracking reports mandated by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers require parts with highly technical geometries and dimensions, and in a majority of cases using rare metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. As well, the special pressures and characteristics of flight necessitate parts built to exacting tolerance and design standards. Our experienced technicians are ready to tackle the unique demands of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Massachusetts machine shop is driven to deliver aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This track record in prototype manufacturing for multiple Massachusetts industries allows Roberson Machine Company to be a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our expert team of engineers and machinists can help you identify flaws in your product, propose design and usability improvements, and otherwise build on the quality of your Massachusetts end product while reducing your R&D costs.
Why Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Massachusetts
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to design a product digitally, program the design data into the computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, trimming away portions from a piece of raw material in order to create a desired end-shape.
Using computers eliminates human error and improves the efficiency of the cuts which, in turn, means that you can make flawless, quick parts the first time AND every time thereafter. There are a variety of other reasons to choose CNC machining for prototyping, such as:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are extremely accurate and precise in order to create parts with tolerances sometimes as tight as +.05 mm.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine tools work with sophisticated computer programs that can convert files into finished parts within a matter of hours, which is invaluable towards getting the end-results to market quickly.
- Different materials to choose from – CNC machine tools can work on virtually any machinable material, which includes many types of plastic substrates and metals. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test from one different material to the next.
- Fixed tooling is not necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate dies and tools, which helps diminish the initial investment costs and lead time for new product development.
- Can easily change design – New product development often requires a series of improvements and modifications to the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Massachusetts | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need high-quality and quick parts in small volumes for prototyping, engineering, and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you at every point to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.