Prototype Machining in Virginia | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Virginia. Prototyping is an essential step in taking your product from idea to shelf. To get it right the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Virginia that can not just make your designs come alive, but have engineers on staff that can also make revisions to the product to make it even better.
At Roberson Machine Company, we are a leader in rapid prototyping in a variety of industries. If you can dream it, we have the capabilities to make it a reality—no matter the complexity! Our team of contract manufacturing professionals are prepared to help in your product development goals.
Virginia Prototype Services
We have an expansive factory floor with lathes, mills, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire staff at Roberson Machine Company is dedicated to ensuring your product development journey goes off without a hitch, which is why we meticulously oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we know how important it is to move a completed prototype to production so that it can get on the market as soon as possible. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. We want to be your one-stop machine shop for all prototyping services.
CNC prototyping services offered at Roberson Machine Company:
- Variety of capabilities such as extrusion, bending, folding, stamping, welding, cutting, spinning, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
- Both complex and simple part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
What is Prototyping?
A prototype is a first-attempt physical model of a product that’s made through a special manufacturing process like CNC machining. It can be used for many purposes and is usually the first step in the mass-production of a product. For example, many companies turn to Roberson Machine Company to create a physical part quickly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is a very beneficial technique that can be used for:
- Showing customers and investors a physical model of your product in as little amount of time as possible
- Exhibiting the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with different textures, colors, and finishes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of quality, size, dimension, and shape
- Testing the market with your product before production
- Identifying and fixing potentially costly design flaws before reaching market
- Improving and streamlining the entire production process
Overall, rapid prototyping in Virginia saves money, time, and hassle by creating a single run of a product that can be tested and improved upon before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Multiple Virginia industries are well aware of the benefits of prototype machining and use it to limit potential disruptions in the development phase. Roberson Machine Company has successfully contracted with a notable number of companies, big and small, to realize their prototype manufacturing needs. We have worked with the following Virginia industries and others develop prototypes rapidly and within cost requirements:
- With the widespread adoption of “just-in-time” manufacturing processes, the automotive industry requires new parts to be developed as quickly as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool partners with Virginia automotive firms ranging from small custom shops to well-known OEMs to produce prototype parts in multiple materials, delivered affordably and on time.
- Oil and energy firms have unique requirements for prototypes: they need to be made to withstand the heavy pressure of underground pipeline burial, mining, and refining. Roberson answers these demands by specializing in machining prototypes made from exotic materials such as alloy steel, plastics, and brass.
- The Virginia medical industry requires parts to be developed to some of the most demanding tolerances in the machining industry: after all, preventing defective parts from making it to consumers is quite literally a matter of life and death. In addition, medical parts are often extremely small and complicated in design. Roberson Machine Company has in our shop the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only quickly fabricate medical part prototypes regardless of size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers need parts with highly technical geometries and dimensions, and in many cases using specialized metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. In addition, the special pressures and characteristics of flight necessitate parts made to exacting tolerance and design standards. Our experienced technicians are eager to tackle the challenges of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Virginia machine shop is devoted to delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This experience in prototype manufacturing for multiple Virginia industries allows Roberson Machine Company to be a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our experienced team of engineers and machinists can help you recognize flaws in your product, suggest design and technical improvements, and otherwise improve the quality of your Virginia end product while reducing your R&D costs.
Reasons to Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Virginia
Prototyping can use a variety of methods to complete projects, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Short for computer numerical control, CNC allows you to design a product digitally, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take it from there, trimming away bits from a piece of raw material in order to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers improves the efficiency of cuts and virtually eliminates human error which, in turn, means that you can make flawless, quick parts both the first time and every time afterwards. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype, such as:
- More precise – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are very accurate and precise in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine can typically create one part in a matter of minutes, which is ideal for getting products to market quickly.
- Different materials to choose from – CNC machine tools can work on practically any material that is machinable, which includes many kinds of metal and plastic substrates. Product developers can then test different materials to see which is best for their application.
- Fixed tooling is not necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate tools and dies, which helps diminish the initial investment costs and lead time for new product development.
- Can easily change design – New products often go through many moderations and iterations to improve upon the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Virginia | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need high-quality and quick parts in small volumes for testing samples, engineering, and prototyping. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you at every point to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.