Prototype Machining in Maine | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Maine. Creating a prototype is not just the first step, but probably one of the most important in the manufacturing process. To get it right the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Maine that can not only make your designs come alive, but have engineers on staff that can also help refine the product to improve upon it.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping in a variety of businesses. If you can dream it, we have the capabilities to make it a reality—no matter the complexity! Our contract manufacturers are prepared to help in your product development initiatives.
Prototype Services Maine
We have a large factory floor with mills, lathes, and EDM machines to meet your CNC prototyping expectations. The entire team at Roberson Machine Company is committed to ensuring your product development journey goes off without a hitch, which is why we carefully oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we know how important it is to move a completed prototype to production so that it can get on the market as soon as possible. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. We want to be your one-stop machine shop for all prototyping services.
CNC prototyping services we offer:
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Variety of materials, such as aluminum, stainless steel, etc.
- Variety of capabilities, such as stamping, extrusion, bending, cutting, spinning, folding, welding, etc.
What is a Prototype?
A prototype is a first-attempt physical model of a product that’s made through a special manufacturing process like CNC machining. It can be used for many purposes and is usually the first step in the mass-production of a product. For instance, many companies turn to Roberson Machine Company to create a physical part swiftly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is a very beneficial practice that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, dimensions, and features of your product
- Generating multiple separate versions of the product with differing colors, surface textures, and finishing processes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of size, shape, dimension, and quality
- Testing the market with your product before production
- Finding and repairing potentially expensive design flaws before it ever touches the market
- Improving and streamlining the whole production process
In general, rapid prototyping in Maine saves time and money by creating a single run of a product that can be tested and optimized to peak performance before having to invest in thousands of units. Contact us to learn more about how this process can help your company realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Multiple Maine industries have recognized the advantages of prototype machining and utilize it to reduce the chance of disruptions in the development cycle. Roberson Machine Company has successfully partnered with a large number of companies, of all sizes, to achieve their prototype manufacturing needs. We have helped the following Maine industries and more develop prototypes quickly and efficiently:
- With the popularity of the “just-in-time” manufacturing process, the automotive industry requires new parts to be produced as fast as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool works with Maine automotive firms ranging from small custom shops to well-known OEMs to produce prototype parts in several different materials, delivered on time and within budget.
- Oil and energy firms have unique requirements for prototypes: they must be built to withstand the rigors of refining, mining, and underground burial. Roberson answers these demands by excelling in machining prototypes using exotic materials such as alloy steel, plastics, and brass.
- The Maine medical industry requires parts to be developed to some of the most exacting tolerances in the machining industry: after all, making sure that defective parts do not make it to market is truly a matter of life and death. In addition, medical parts are often very small and complicated in design. Roberson Machine Company is proud to use the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only rapidly fabricate medical part prototypes regardless of size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers need parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in a large number of cases using exotic metals that can withstand high temperatures and altitude. As well, the unique pressures and characteristics of flight necessitate parts built to strict tolerance and design standards. Our veteran technicians are ready to take on the challenges of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Maine machine shop is devoted to delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This history of prototype manufacturing for multiple Maine industries makes Roberson Machine Company a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our experienced team of engineers and machinists can help you recognize flaws in your product, propose design and technical improvements, and otherwise improve the quality of your Maine end product while lowering your R&D costs.
Reasons to Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Maine
Prototyping can use a variety of methods to complete projects, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to digitally design your product, program the design data into the computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, cutting away portions from a piece of raw material in order to create a desired end-shape.
Using computers eliminates human error and improves the efficiency of the cuts which, in turn, means that you can make quick, flawless parts the first time AND every time thereafter. There are a variety of other reasons to choose CNC machining for prototyping, including:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are very precise and accurate in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine can typically create one part in a matter of minutes, which is ideal for getting the end-results to market faster.
- Different materials to choose from – CNC machine tools are able to work with practically any material that is machinable, which includes many types of plastic substrates and metals. Product developers can then test different materials to see which is best for their application.
- No fixed tooling necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate tools and dies, which helps diminish the lead time and initial investment costs for new product development.
- Can easily change design – New product development often requires a series of improvements and modifications to the original design. With CNC machining, you can easily alter digital instructions as many times as necessary.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Maine | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need high-quality and quick parts in small volumes for testing samples, engineering, and prototyping. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.