Prototype Machining Portland, OR
Prototype machining Portland, OR. From idea to shelf, prototyping is the first step to creating products primed for mass-production. To do it right the first time around, you need to work with a prototype machine shop in Portland that can not just make your designs come alive, but have specialists on staff that can also make revisions to the product to improve upon it.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping in a number of industries. No matter the design complexity, if you can think it up, we can help make it a reality! Our contract manufacturers are prepared to help in your product development initiatives.
Portland Prototype Services
We have an expansive factory floor with mills, lathes, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire team at Roberson Machine Company is dedicated to ensuring your product development journey goes off without a hitch, which is why we carefully oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail is perfect.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once you’re completely satisfied with a product’s final design, we can transition it easily and efficiently into production, all in-house! This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services offered at Roberson Machine Company:
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Variety of capabilities such as welding, extrusion, stamping, folding, bending, spinning, cutting, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
What is Prototyping?
Prototyping uses specialized manufacturing techniques, such as CNC machines, to create high-quality physical models of a design idea. It is often used for testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For example, many companies turn to Roberson Machine Company to produce a physical part swiftly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is a very beneficial process that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with different textures, colors, and finishes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of dimension, shape, quality, and size
- Testing the product on the market before bringing it to full production
- Identifying and correcting potentially costly design defects before it ever touches the market
- Improving and streamlining the entire production process
In general, rapid prototyping in Portland saves time and money by creating one product that can be tested and improved upon before having to invest in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your company realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Multiple Portland, OR industries are well aware of the benefits of prototype machining and use it to limit potential disruptions in the development phase. Roberson Machine Company has successfully worked with a large number of companies, of all sizes, to achieve their prototype manufacturing requirements. We have worked with the following Portland, OR industries and others develop prototypes efficiently and under budget:
- With the popularity of “just-in-time” manufacturing processes, the automotive industry needs new parts to be developed as quickly as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool contracts with Portland, OR automotive firms as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to produce prototype parts in multiple materials, delivered affordably and on time.
- Portland, OR oil and energy firms have special requirements for prototypes: they need to be built to withstand the rigors of underground pipeline burial, mining, and refining. Roberson meets these demands by excelling in machining prototypes using exotic materials such as brass, alloy steel, and even plastics.
- The Portland, OR medical industry mandates that parts are developed to some of the most exacting tolerances in the machining industry: above all, preventing defective parts from making it to end users is truly the difference between life and death. Moreover, medical parts are often very small and intricate in design. Roberson Machine Company is equipped with the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only rapidly produce medical part prototypes of any size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers require parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in many cases using exotic metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. As well, the special pressures and characteristics of flight require parts made to exacting tolerance and design standards. Our highly-trained technicians are ready to take on the challenges of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our OR machine shop is driven to deliver aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This experience in prototype manufacturing for multiple OR industries makes Roberson Machine Company a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our expert team of specialists can help you recognize flaws in your product, suggest design and usability improvements, and otherwise build on the quality of your Portland, OR end product while reducing your R&D costs.
Why Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Portland, OR
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Short for computer numerical control, CNC allows you to digitally design your product, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, cutting away portions from a piece of raw material to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers improves the efficiency of cuts and virtually eliminates human error which, in turn, means that you can produce flawless, quick parts both the first time and every time afterwards. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype, such as:
- More precise – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are extremely accurate and precise in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine can typically create one part in a matter of minutes, which is invaluable towards getting the end-results to market faster.
- Different materials to choose from – CNC machine tools are able to work with practically any machinable material, which includes many varieties of plastic substrates and metals. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test from one different material to the next.
- Fixed tooling is not necessary – CNC machined parts do not require the use of separate dies and tools, which helps reduce the initial investment costs and lead time for new product development.
- Easy to modify – New products often go through many moderations and iterations to improve upon the original design. With CNC machining, you can easily alter digital instructions as many times as necessary.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Portland, OR | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need fast-turnaround and high-quality parts in small volumes for prototyping and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.