Prototype Machining Norfolk, VA
Prototype machining Norfolk, VA. Prototyping is an essential step in taking your product from idea to shelf. To get it correctly the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Norfolk that can not just make your designs come alive, but have specialists at the ready that can also help refine the product to make it even better.
At Roberson Machine Company, we are a leader in rapid prototyping for a variety of businesses. No matter the design complexity, if you can think it up, we can help make it a reality! Our team of contract manufacturing professionals are prepared to help in your product development initiatives.
Prototype Services Norfolk
We have a large factory floor with lathes, mills, and EDM machines to meet your CNC prototyping expectations. The entire staff at Roberson Machine Company is committed to ensuring your product development journey goes smoothly, which is why we carefully oversee all designing, programming, and fabricating to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services offered at Roberson Machine Company:
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Variety of capabilities such as welding, extrusion, stamping, folding, bending, spinning, cutting, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
What is a Prototype?
Prototyping uses specialized manufacturing techniques, such as CNC machines, to create high-quality physical models of a design idea. It is often used for testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For example, many clients turn to Roberson Machine Company to create a physical part swiftly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is an advantageous process that is used for:
- Showing customers and investors a physical model of your product in as little amount of time as possible
- Demonstrating the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with differing textures, colors, and finishes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of quality, size, dimension, and shape
- Testing the product on the market before bringing it to full production
- Finding and fixing potentially costly design defects before reaching market
- Streamlining and improving upon the whole production process
In general, rapid prototyping in Norfolk saves time and money by creating a single run of a product that can be tested and improved upon before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Many Norfolk, VA industries have recognized the benefits of prototype machining and use it to reduce potential disruptions in the development process. Roberson Machine Company has successfully partnered with a large number of companies, both large and small, to achieve their prototype manufacturing needs. We have assisted the following Norfolk, VA industries and others develop prototypes efficiently and under budget:
- With the popularity of “just-in-time” manufacturing, the automotive industry needs new parts to be developed as quickly as possible and in any size production run. Roberson Tool contracts with Norfolk, VA automotive firms as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to produce prototype parts in multiple materials, delivered on time and within budget.
- Norfolk, VA oil and energy firms have unique demands for prototypes: they need to be made to withstand the rigors of refining, mining, and underground burial. Roberson answers these demands by specializing in machining prototypes using exotic materials such as brass, alloy steel, and even plastics.
- The Norfolk, VA medical industry requires parts to be developed to some of the most demanding tolerances in the machining industry: after all, ensuring that defective parts do not make it to consumers is quite literally a matter of life and death. As well, medical parts are often extremely small and complicated in design. Roberson Machine Company is equipped with the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only rapidly produce medical part prototypes of any size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers require parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in a large number of cases using rare metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. As well, the special pressures and characteristics of flight require parts built to strict tolerance and design standards. Our veteran technicians are ready to take on the unique demands of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our VA machine shop is driven to deliver aerospace manufacturers parts built to the highest standard of quality.
This track record in prototype manufacturing for multiple VA industries allows Roberson Machine Company to be a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our highly-trained team of specialists can help you identify flaws in your product, propose design and reliability improvements, and otherwise build on the quality of your Norfolk, VA end product while reducing your R&D costs.
Why Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Norfolk, VA
Prototyping can use a variety of methods to complete projects, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to digitally design your product, program the design data into the computer, and let the CNC machine take it from there, cutting away portions from a piece of raw material in order to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers eliminates human error and improves the efficiency of the cuts which, in turn, means that you can make flawless, quick parts the first time AND every time thereafter. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype, including:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are very accurate and precise in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Quicker – Modern CNC machine can typically create one part in a matter of minutes, which is ideal for getting products to market faster.
- Many different materials to work with – CNC machine tools are able to work with virtually any material that is machinable, which includes many kinds of metal and plastic substrates. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test from one different material to the next.
- No fixed tooling necessary – CNC machined parts do not require the use of separate dies and tools, which helps diminish the lead time and initial investment costs for new product development.
- Easy to modify – New products often go through many moderations and iterations to improve upon the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Norfolk, VA | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need high-quality and quick parts in small volumes for prototyping and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you at every point to ensure that your needs are fully addressed, your designs are crafted to perfection, and the final product is delivered to you on time.