Prototype Machining | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Missouri. Prototyping is the first and most important step in an end-product’s journey from idea to shelf. To get it right the first time around, you need to work with a prototype machine shop that can not only bring your designs to life, but have engineers on staff that can also help refine the product to make it even better.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping for a number of industries. If you can dream it, we have the capabilities to make it a reality—no matter the complexity! Our team of contract manufacturing professionals are ready to support your product development goals.
We have an expansive factory floor with mills, lathes, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire staff at Roberson Machine Company is devoted to ensuring your product development journey goes smoothly, which is why we carefully oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail is perfect.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once you’re completely satisfied with a product’s final design, we can transition it easily and efficiently into production, all in-house! This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services we offer
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Variety of capabilities such as welding, extrusion, stamping, folding, bending, spinning, cutting, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
What is Prototyping?
Prototyping uses specialized manufacturing techniques, such as CNC machines, to create high-quality physical models of a design idea. It is often used for engineer testing or as the first step in the mass-production process. For example, many clients turn to Roberson Machine Company to produce a physical part quickly in order to validate a design or capture a sales opportunity.
Prototyping is a very beneficial process that can be used for:
- Showing customers and investors a physical model of your product in as little amount of time as possible
- Demonstrating the appearance, dimensions, and features of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions with different colors, surface textures, and finishing processes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of size, shape, dimension, and quality
- Testing the market with your product before production
- Identifying and fixing potentially costly design flaws before reaching market
- Improving and streamlining the whole production process
In general, rapid prototyping saves time and money by creating one product that can be tested and improved upon before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
Reasons to Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is by far the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to design a product digitally, program the design data into the computer, and let the CNC machine take it from there, shaving away portions from a piece of raw material to create a desired end-shape.
Using computers eliminates human error and improves the efficiency of the cuts which, in turn, means that you can produce quick, flawless parts the first time AND every time thereafter. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype including:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are very accurate and precise in order to create parts with tolerances sometimes as tight as +.05 mm.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine tools work with sophisticated computer programs that can convert files into finished parts within a matter of hours, which is ideal for getting products to market quickly.
- Many different materials to work with – CNC machine tools are able to work with virtually any material that is machinable, which includes many kinds of metal and plastic substrates. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test it with from one different material to the next.
- No fixed tooling necessary – CNC machined parts do not require the use of separate tools and dies, which helps reduce the initial investment costs and lead time for new product development.
- Easy to modify – New product development often requires a series of small improvements and modifications to the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is an ideal solution for product developers who need fast-turnaround, high-quality parts in small volumes for prototyping, engineering, and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your needs are fully addressed, your designs are crafted to perfection, and the final product is delivered to you on time.