Prototype Machining in Minnesota | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Minnesota. Prototyping is the first and most important step in an end-product’s journey from idea to shelf. To get it right the first time around, you need to work with a prototype machine shop in Minnesota that can not only bring your designs to life, but have engineers at the ready that can also make revisions to the product to improve upon it.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping in a number of industries. No matter the design complexity, if you can think it up, we can help make it a reality! Our contract manufacturers are ready to help in your product development initiatives.
Prototype Services Minnesota
We have an expansive factory floor with mills, lathes, and EDM machines to meet your CNC prototyping expectations. The entire team at Roberson Machine Company is dedicated to ensuring your product development journey goes smoothly, which is why we meticulously oversee the entire design, fabrication, and programming process to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. We want to be your one-stop machine shop for all prototyping services.
CNC prototyping services offered at Roberson Machine Company:
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Variety of materials, such as aluminum, stainless steel, etc.
- Variety of capabilities, such as stamping, extrusion, bending, cutting, spinning, folding, welding, etc.
What is Prototyping?
Prototyping uses specialized manufacturing techniques, such as CNC machines, to create high-quality physical models of a design idea. It is often used for engineer testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For instance, many companies turn to Roberson Machine Company to create a physical part swiftly in order to validate a design or capture a sales opportunity.
Prototyping is a very beneficial practice that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with differing colors, surface textures, and finishing processes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of dimension, shape, quality, and size
- Testing the market with your product before production
- Identifying and correcting potentially costly design flaws before it ever touches the market
- Improving and streamlining the whole production process
In general, rapid prototyping in Minnesota saves money, time, and hassle by creating one product that can be tested and optimized to peak performance before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to learn more about how this process may help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
What Minnesota Industries Benefit From Prototype Machining?
Many Minnesota industries have recognized the benefits of prototype machining and use it to limit the chance of disruptions in the development process. Roberson Machine Company has successfully worked with a notable number of companies, big and small, to achieve their prototype manufacturing goals. We have helped the following Minnesota industries and others develop prototypes quickly and efficiently:
- With the widespread adoption of “just-in-time” manufacturing, the automotive industry needs new parts to be developed as fast as possible and in any quantity. Roberson Tool works with Minnesota automotive firms as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to build prototype parts in several different materials, delivered affordably and on time.
- Oil and energy firms have unique requirements for prototypes: they must be built to withstand the heavy pressure of refining, mining, and underground burial. Roberson meets these demands by specializing in machining prototypes made from exotic materials such as plastics, brass, and alloy steel.
- The Minnesota medical industry mandates that parts are developed to some of the most precise tolerances in the machining industry: after all, ensuring that defective parts do not make it to consumers is truly the difference between life and death. As well, medical parts are often extremely small and intricate in design. Roberson Machine Company is equipped with the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only quickly produce medical part prototypes regardless of size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers demand parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in a majority of cases using exotic metals that do not deform at high temperatures and altitude. Moreover, the special pressures and characteristics of flight require parts made to exacting tolerance and design standards. Our highly-trained technicians are ready to tackle the challenges of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Minnesota machine shop is devoted to delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This history of prototype manufacturing for multiple Minnesota industries makes Roberson Machine Company a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our experienced team of engineers and machinists can help you identify flaws in your product, propose design and usability improvements, and otherwise build on the quality of your Minnesota finished product while reducing your R&D costs.
Reasons to Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Minnesota
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to design a product digitally, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, cutting away bits from a piece of raw material in order to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers improves the efficiency of cuts and virtually eliminates human error which, in turn, means that you can make flawless, quick parts both the first time and every time afterwards. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype, including:
- More precise – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are extremely accurate and precise in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Faster – Modern CNC machine tools work with sophisticated computer programs that can convert files into finished parts within a matter of hours, which is invaluable towards getting the end-results to market quickly.
- Different materials to choose from – CNC machine tools can work on virtually any material that is machinable, which includes many kinds of plastic substrates and metals. Product developers can then test different materials to see which is best for their application.
- Fixed tooling is not necessary – CNC machined parts do not require the use of separate dies and tools, which helps reduce the lead time and initial investment costs for new product development.
- Easy to modify – New product development often requires a series of improvements and modifications to the original design. With CNC machining, you can easily alter digital instructions as many times as necessary.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Minnesota | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need fast-turnaround and high-quality parts in small volumes for prototyping, engineering, and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you at every point to ensure that your needs are fully addressed, your designs are crafted to perfection, and the final product is delivered to you on time.