Prototype Machining Durham, NC
Prototype machining Durham, NC. Prototyping is the first and most important step in an end-product’s journey from idea to shelf. To do it correctly the first time around, you need to work with a prototype machine shop in Durham that can not just make your designs come alive, but have specialists at the ready that can also help refine the product to improve upon it.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping in a number of businesses. No matter the design complexity, if you can think it up, we can help make it a reality! Our contract manufacturers are prepared to support your product development goals.
Durham Prototype Services
We have an expansive factory floor with lathes, mills, and EDM machines for all of your precision CNC prototype needs. The entire staff at Roberson Machine Company is dedicated to ensuring your product development efforts go smoothly, which is why we carefully oversee all designing, programming, and fabricating to make sure every last detail meets your standards.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services we offer:
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Variety of capabilities such as welding, extrusion, stamping, folding, bending, spinning, cutting, etc.
- Variety of materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
What is a Prototype?
A prototype is a first-attempt physical model of a product that’s made through a special manufacturing process like CNC machining. It is often used for testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For example, many businesses turn to Roberson Machine Company to build a physical part quickly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is an advantageous practice that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Demonstrating the appearance, features, and dimensions of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with different textures, colors, and finishes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of size, shape, dimension, and quality
- Testing the product on the market before bringing it to full production
- Finding and fixing potentially expensive design flaws before it ever touches the market
- Streamlining and improving upon the entire production process
Overall, rapid prototyping in Durham saves money, time, and hassle by creating a single run of a product that can be tested and optimized to peak performance before investing in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your company realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Multiple Durham, NC industries are well aware of the advantages of prototype machining and use it to limit the chance of disruptions in the development phase. Roberson Machine Company has successfully partnered with a notable number of companies, both large and small, to meet their prototype manufacturing goals. We have helped the following Durham, NC industries and others develop prototypes quickly and efficiently:
- With the of “just-in-time” manufacturing, the automotive industry requires new parts to be produced as fast as possible and in any size production run. Roberson Tool works with Durham, NC automotive firms as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to produce prototype parts in multiple materials, delivered quickly and within costs.
- Durham, NC oil and energy firms have unique requirements for prototypes: they need to be made to withstand the rigors of mining, refining, and potentially being buried underground. Roberson responds to these demands by excelling in machining prototypes using exotic materials such as alloy steel, plastics, and brass.
- The Durham, NC medical industry mandates that parts are developed to some of the most exacting tolerances in the machining industry: above all, making sure that defective parts do not make it to consumers is truly a matter of life and death. As well, medical parts are often very small and complicated in design. Roberson Machine Company is proud to use the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only quickly produce medical part prototypes of any size, but also provide process and tracking reports mandated by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers demand parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in a majority of cases using exotic metals that can withstand high temperatures and altitude. As well, the special pressures and characteristics of flight require parts made to exacting tolerance and design standards. Our veteran technicians are ready to take on the unique demands of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our NC machine shop is focused on delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the optimal standard of quality.
This experience in prototype manufacturing for multiple NC industries allows Roberson Machine Company to be a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our experienced team of machinists can help you identify flaws in your product, suggest design and technical improvements, and otherwise improve the quality of your Durham, NC finished product while reducing your R&D costs.
Why Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Durham, NC
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is by far the most effective. Also known as computer numerical control, CNC allows you to design a product digitally, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take it from there, cutting away portions from a piece of raw material to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers improves the efficiency of cuts and virtually eliminates human error which, in turn, means that you can make flawless, quick parts the first time AND every time thereafter. There are a variety of other reasons to choose CNC machining for prototyping, such as:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are extremely precise and accurate in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Quicker – Modern CNC machine tools work with sophisticated computer programs that can convert files into finished parts within a matter of hours, which is invaluable towards getting products to market faster.
- Many different materials to work with – CNC machine tools are able to work with practically any machinable material, which includes many kinds of plastic substrates and metals. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test from one different material to the next.
- Fixed tooling is not necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate tools and dies, which helps diminish the lead time and initial investment costs for new product development.
- Can easily change design – New product development often requires a series of improvements and modifications to the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Durham, NC | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is an ideal solution for product developers who need fast-turnaround and high-quality parts in small volumes for prototyping and testing samples. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you at every point to ensure that your designs are crafted to perfection on time and that all of your needs are met.