Prototype Machining in Wisconsin | CNC Prototyping
Prototype machining in Wisconsin. From idea to shelf, prototyping is the first step to creating products primed for mass-production. To do it right the first time around, you should choose a prototype machine shop in Wisconsin that can not only make your designs come alive, but have engineers at the ready that can also help refine the product to make it even better.
At Roberson Machine Company, we specialize in rapid prototyping in a number of industries. No matter the design complexity, if you can think it up, we can help make it a reality! Our contract manufacturers are ready to support your product development initiatives.
Wisconsin Prototype Services
We have an expansive factory floor with lathes, mills, and EDM machines to meet your CNC prototyping expectations. The entire team at Roberson Machine Company is committed to ensuring your product development journey goes off without a hitch, which is why we carefully oversee all designing, programming, and fabricating to make sure every last detail is perfect.
Finally, we understand the importance of moving a finished prototype to production as quickly as possible in order to keep the assembly line humming. Once the prototypes design has been approved, we can easily transition it to our in-house production side. This allows us to be your one-stop shop for prototyping services of all kinds.
CNC prototyping services offered at Roberson Machine Company:
- Both simple and complex part geometries
- Tight tolerances (as tight as 0.0001” inches for some parts)
- Variety of materials, such as aluminum, stainless steel, etc.
- Variety of capabilities, such as stamping, extrusion, bending, cutting, spinning, folding, welding, etc.
What is Prototyping?
A prototype is a first-attempt physical model of a product that’s made through a special manufacturing process like CNC machining. It is often used for engineer testing or as the first step within the mass-production process. For example, many clients turn to Roberson Machine Company to build a physical part swiftly in order to capture a sales opportunity or validate a design.
Prototyping is a very beneficial process that can be used for:
- Showcasing the physical model of a product to investors and customers in a relatively short amount of time
- Exhibiting the appearance, dimensions, and features of your product
- Creating multiple separate versions of the product with different textures, colors, and finishes
- Ensuring that all parts are standardized in terms of dimension, shape, quality, and size
- Testing the product on the market before bringing it to full production
- Finding and correcting potentially expensive design defects before reaching market
- Streamlining and improving upon the entire production process
Overall, rapid prototyping in Wisconsin saves time and money by creating one product that can be tested and improved upon before having to invest in thousands of units. Contact us to see how this process can help your business realize a variety of cost savings.
Who Uses Prototype Machining?
Many Wisconsin industries are well aware of the benefits of prototype machining and use it to limit the chance of disruptions in the development process. Roberson Machine Company has successfully contracted with a large number of companies, both large and small, to realize their prototype manufacturing needs. We have helped the following Wisconsin industries and others develop prototypes quickly and efficiently:
- With the of “just-in-time” manufacturing processes, the automotive industry needs new parts to be produced as fast as possible and in any size production run. Roberson Tool contracts with Wisconsin automotive suppliers as small as local custom shops and as large as OEM manufacturers to produce prototype parts in several different materials, delivered on time and within budget.
- Oil and energy firms have special demands for prototypes: they must be made to withstand the rigors of underground pipeline burial, mining, and refining. Roberson answers these demands by specializing in machining prototypes made of exotic materials such as plastics, brass, and alloy steel.
- The Wisconsin medical industry mandates that parts are developed to some of the most precise tolerances in the machining industry: above all, ensuring that defective parts do not make it to consumers is truly the difference between life and death. Moreover, medical parts are often extremely small and intricate in design. Roberson Machine Company is equipped with the latest 5-axis CNC machining tools that can not only rapidly fabricate medical part prototypes regardless of size, but also provide process and tracking reports needed by the FDA.
- Aerospace manufacturers require parts with intricate geometries and dimensions, and in many cases using rare metals that can withstand high temperatures and altitude. As well, the unique pressures and characteristics of flight necessitate parts made to strict tolerance and design standards. Our veteran technicians are ready to take on the unique demands of aerospace prototype manufacturing, and our ISO 9001:2015-certified Wisconsin machine shop is focused on delivering aerospace manufacturers parts built to the highest standard of quality.
This experience in prototype manufacturing for multiple Wisconsin industries makes Roberson Machine Company a true partner throughout the manufacturing process. Our experienced team of engineers and machinists can help you identify flaws in your product, propose design and reliability improvements, and otherwise build on the quality of your Wisconsin end product while lowering your R&D costs.
Reasons to Use CNC Machining for Rapid Prototyping in Wisconsin
There are many different methods that can be used to create your prototypes, but CNC machining is far and away one of the most effective. Short for computer numerical control, CNC allows you to digitally design your product, input that data into a computer, and let the CNC machine take care of the rest, cutting away portions from a piece of raw material in order to create the desired end-shape.
Using computers improves the efficiency of cuts and virtually eliminates human error which, in turn, means that you can produce flawless, quick parts both the first time and every time afterwards. There are so many other reasons to choose CNC for your prototype, such as:
- More accurate – Computer-controlled machines use modern cutters that are extremely precise and accurate in order to create parts with very tight tolerances.
- Quicker – Modern CNC machine tools work with sophisticated computer programs that can convert files into finished parts within a matter of hours, which is invaluable towards getting the end-results to market faster.
- Many different materials to work with – CNC machine tools can work on virtually any material that is machinable, which includes many varieties of plastic substrates and metals. This is a great advantage to product developers who want to test from one different material to the next.
- No fixed tooling necessary – CNC machined parts do not need to use separate dies and tools, which helps reduce the initial investment costs and lead time for new product development.
- Can easily change design – New product development often requires a series of improvements and modifications to the original design. Altering digital instructions is simple and only takes a few minutes with CNC machining.
Prototype Manufacturing Near Me Wisconsin | Roberson Machine Company
CNC machining is used by many businesses who need fast-turnaround and high-quality parts in small volumes for testing samples, engineering, and prototyping. When you choose Roberson Machine Company, we will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your needs are fully addressed, your designs are crafted to perfection, and the final product is delivered to you on time.